The Greater Woodbury Garden Club
Location: Central Baptist Church, 37 South Jackson Street, Woodbury, NJ
Dates: Held on the 3rd Tuesday of month from 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- No meeting in January
- June meeting held in member’s garden (covered dish)
- Holiday party at December meeting
- Refreshments served
- Prospective Members Welcome as Guests
Barbara Haase, President: 856-251-9028 e-mail: [email protected]
Vice President: Shirley Robinson
Scholarships are available for all Gloucester County high school graduates who meet the criteria. For further details, contact Mary Fisher, Scholarship Committee Chair, at [email protected].
For information on membership, contact Tina DuTill, Membership Chair, at [email protected].
The Annual Garden Tour and Tea will be held on the first Saturday in June. For further specifics, contact Shirley Robinson, T & T Chair, at [email protected].
17th Annual Garden Tour and Tea – will be held June 4, 2016.
Bi-Annual Flower Show – To be held on odd-numbered years.
Garden Club Youth Group
“The Best Buds” our youth group meets on the third Wednesday of the month at 6:30 pm, at Central Baptist Church on Centre & Jackson Sts. The group is open to children 5 years of age and up. The Best Buds learn about ecology, nature, the environment, and hands-on gardening. In the past they have enjoyed creating topiaries, and making birdhouses. They have entered the garden club’s flower shows and also the Gingerbread House competition for the club’s bi-annual Christmas House Tour. For information call Roxanne Long at 856-848-4693.
- Community Garden Maintenance-Hendrickson (Evergreen & Cooper)
- Members Exhibit Cut Flowers from their Gardens at May and September Meetings which are Judged by Nationally Accredited Judge
- Scholarships awarded to students from all Gloucester County High Schools. For information, contact Barbara Haase at 856-251-9028.
- Garden Visits (e.g., Hortulus Farm, White Flower Farm)
- May Day Flower Baskets
- Geranium Presentation at Memorial Day Parade to Individuals with Family in Active Military Service
- June Plant Exchange
- Over 50 members; ages from 20s to 70s; male and female
- Woodbury and neighboring towns
- New members welcome as guests for a meeting
- Membership Dues: $20 payable each November; dues are pro-rated
7:00 PM at Central Baptist Church, 37 South Jackson Street, Woodbury NJ, unless otherwise noted – Guests are welcome to attend one meeting as a non-member.
- February 16, 2016 – Topic: “Share and Grow” Roundtable.
- March 15, 2016 – Speaker: Jenna O’Brien, Horticulturist and Garden Designer, “Container Gardening.”
- April 19, 2016 – Speaker: Walter Cullerton, Tri-State Hosta Society and Master Gardener, “Hostas for Garden Texture.”
- May 17, 2016 – Topic: Tour and Tea final preparations.
- Saturday, June 4, 2016 – Annual Tour & Tea – “The Enchanted Woods.” Location TBD, 11am to 3pm. Contact President, Barbara Haase @ 856-251-9028 for information
- June 17, 2016 – 6:00 PM Annual Club Picnic and Plant Exchange Location – Members Only
- July 17, 2016 – Speaker: Jane Guillard, “Falcon Turn Day Lillies.”
- August 16, 2016 – Speaker: Glenn Ashton, Gardener, PHS Meadowbrook Farm, “Composting.”
- September 20, 2016 – Speaker: Dottie Hansbury, “Fall and Winter Garden Interest.”
- October 18, 2016 – Speaker: Mary Cummings, Program Coordinator, Gloucester County Certified Gardeners, “Proper Pruning.”
- November 15, 2016 – Topic: TBD.
- December 10, 2106 – Christmas House Tour – “A Woodland Christmas” and “Gingerbread House and Ornament Competitions,” 2:00 pm to 8pm.
- December 20, 2016 – Christmas Dinner – Members Only – 6:30 pm.
- February 21, 2017 – First meeting. Topic: TBD.
About the Club
The Greater Woodbury Garden Club was founded in March 2000 by Shirley Robinson with 12 Master Gardeners and friends. The club now has over 60 members who meet monthly to enjoy a variety of lectures and hands-on projects, and to organize its many activities scheduled throughout the year. Its members come from a variety of backgrounds and interests, but share the love of plants and gardening. The Garden Club helps the city maintain Hendrickson Park at Cooper St. and Evergreen Ave. In addition, the club sponsors the Garden Tour and Tea every June, a Standard Flower Show and The Holiday House Tour every other December. Also, trips to garden-related destinations are planned during the year. Finally, the proceeds from our Garden Tour and Tea and Holiday House Tour provide the funds for scholarships to area high school graduates and supports our many community projects. In May 2001, the club affiliated with the Garden Club in NJ (GCNJ), an affiliate of National Garden Clubs, Inc. The club received a GCNJ award for its continued efforts in maintaining the baskets in downtown Woodbury through the purchase of a golf cart with a water tank, pump, and sprayer. The group also received an award for the club with the fastest growing membership. Each year the club’s flower show, judged by nationally accredited judges, has received numerous state and national awards. In 2001 and 2002, the club decorated a Fairmount Park house for the Philadelphia Yuletide tour and in 2003 , 2004 and 2009 the club decorated Drumthwacket, the New Jersey Governor’s Mansion for the Christmas Holidays. In 2003 and 2009 the club won first place for their design and decorations. Judging was done by accredited judges from the Garden Club of New Jersey, affiliated with National Garden Clubs, Inc. In 2005 and 2007, the club also decorated the Olde Stone House Village in Washington Township for Christmas.
The club has received over 25 State and National awards as well as winning first place for their interpretation of “Scandinavia” while decorating Drumthwacket, the New Jersey Governor’s Mansion for Christmas, and also The Suburban Greening Award, from the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, for the hanging baskets on Broad St.
Affiliations and Favorite Links
Affiliated with National Garden Clubs, Inc. and The Garden Club of NJ, Inc.
Certification for Flower Show Judges, Landscape Design Consultants, Gardening Study, and Environmental Studies
Last revision: 08/13/15