Requirements for entering into a Marriage:
For two persons to establish a Marriage in this State, it shall be necessary that they satisfy all of the following criteria:
- Not be a party to another civil union, domestic partnership or marriage in this State or recognized by this State;
- Be at least 18 years of age, except that applicants under the age of 18 may enter into a Marriage with parental consent. Applicants under the age of 16 must obtain parental consent and have the consent approved in writing by any judge of the Superior Court, Chancery Division Family part.
Where to apply:
- The marriage license application is to be made in the New Jersey municipality in which either party resides and the license is valid throughout the State of New Jersey.
- If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, submit the application in the municipality where the marriage ceremony will be performed, the license is only valid in the issuing municipality.
Required documents when applying for a marriage license:
- Proof of Identity by presenting your driver’s license, passport or state/federal I.D.
- Proof of Residency
- Your social security card or social security number
- A witness, 18 years of age or older.
- The fee is $28.00
- Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
- A copy of your birth certificate to establish your parent’s names and related birth information
- If you are divorced, have had a previous civil union dissolved, domestic partnership terminated or have had a marriage/civil union annulled, please bring the decree(s) or the annulment documents.
- If your former spouse/civil union or domestic partner is deceased, please bring the death certificate
After you apply:
There is a 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued. The waiting period begins when the application is filed with the Local Registrar. There is no 72 hour waiting period for a remarriage; however, you must bring a certified copy of your existing marriage.
The marriage license application is valid for six months from the date accepted, unless the Registrar has given prior approval to extend the validity of the application to a maximum of one year.
Only one marriage license may be granted from a marriage application. If the license expires before being used, a new application must be made and another $28.00 fee remitted.
The only exception to this requirement is in the case where a civil and religious ceremony are to be performed on the same day. In this case, the local Registrar will photocopy the marriage application, marking on “A” and one “B”, and issue the corresponding marriage licenses, marking the “A” and “B” as well. One copy will be used for the religious ceremony and the other for the civil ceremony.
Woodbury requires an appointment to complete the marriage licensed. Appointments are Monday thru Friday 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
For more information you may contact Karen Chabot, Registrar at 856-845-1300 ext.115