When opening a new business, the business owner or agent should contact the Code Enforcement Office, City of Woodbury, 33 Delaware Street, entrance rear courtyard, 856.845.1300 ext 127.
You always need Zoning verification but do not always need construction permits. If construction permits are needed, you will not be issued the required local mercantile and / or local Board of Health licenses until your construction permits have been finalized.
There are assorted procedures & applications for opening a business, as follows:
Application for Zoning Verification
Always required- there is a $10 fee
- To make sure that district is zoned for the type of business you want to open.
- An application is available from the Joint Code Enforcement Office.
- Read Opening a Business. Zoning verification application
Application for a Commercial Certificate of Occupancy
- If property has been vacant eight months or more, a Commercial CO application is required – $50 fee
Fire Registration Form & Inspection
- Fee for registration varies based on size of building and usage – there is no fee for the inspection
- The Certificate of Fire Code Status is available from the Code Enforcement Office and the Friendship Fire Co. (29 Delaware St., next to City Hall. Fire Official Joe Buono – 856.845.0066)
- You can schedule inspections through the Code Enforcement Office.
Application for Mercantile License
Always required – $5 fee
- The Application for Mercantile License is available from City Hall from Fran Nigro, 856.845.1300 ext 121
- Other permits must be granted first and finalized prior to obtaining a Mercantile License.
Requires a zoning permit along with construction permits.
Application to Erect a Sign
Woodbury Historic District
If the business is located in the Historic District, you will need to follow their procedures for any exterior changes to the property, including signage.
New Food establishments will also need:
Gloucester County Board of Health Approval
You must submit a set of plans for review & approval. The County will make a final inspection once work is completed and issue a final approval certificate. Call 856.262.4100.
Woodbury Application for Food License – $25 fee
This is for any type of food establishment or business that sells food or packaged food items. Once you have been approved by the Gloucester County Board of Health, and all other permits have been finalized, submit the Gloucester County Inspection Report to City Hall for a Food License. Fran Nigro – 856.845.1300, ext 121